Minièresbunn and Train 1900 alongside each other near
The first public railway in Luxembourg opened in 1859 between
Luxembourg City and Thionville, France, a distance of about 30km, of
which about 16km is in Luxembourg. The line was built to standard
(1435mm) gauge by the Compagnie Guillaume-Luxembourg, but operated
under concession by the French Compagnie des chemins de fer de l'Est,
with whose system the new line connected at Thionville.
Subsequent rail development in the country was predominantly standard
gauge, athough there were a few narrow gauge minor and industrial lines.
- CFL Luxembourg
Railways (Site in French)
- SÜWEX German regional passenger operator with through
international services between Luxembourg, Trier and Koblenz
(Site in German)
- Fret SNCF
- Minett Park
in Fond-de-Gras with several railway attractions:
All operate every Sunday and public holiday from May to September,
also Thursdays during school summer holidays. Train 1900 and
Minièresbunn operate in the afternoon, draisines in the morning.
- Train 1900 Fond-de-Gras to Pétange (near CFL station).
7.3 km, standard gauge. Steam hauled or diesel railcars
- Minièresbunn operated in several sections: Fond-de-Gras
to Doihl (Rodange); Doihl to Lasauvage Quarry, through a 1.4km mining
tunnel; Lasauvage Quarry to Lasuavage Church; and Lasauvage Quarry
to Saulnes, France; a total of about 4km, 700mm gauge; steam hauled
from Fond-de-Gras to Doihl, electric hauled onwards from Doihl
- Draisines pedal powered trolleys on the Train 1900 line
between Fond-de-Gras and Bois-de-Rodange
- National Mining Museum
near Rumelange. Visitors to the mine are taken underground by battery
electric hauled mining train. Open typically one Sunday each month
throughout the year, more frequently during spring and summer
de Fer Lankelz miniature railway in Esch-sur-Alzette. 184mm
(7¼ inch) gauge, over 1km in length; steam or diesel hauled.
Operates most Sunday aftenoons from May to October
City trams and funicular
Photo image from the website of Minett