The first and only railway on the island was a 124km metre gauge line following a coastal route from Saint Benoît to Saint Pierre via Saint Denis and Le Port. The first section opened in 1878, regular services on the last remaining section ceased in 1976. Numerous relics remain.
In 1990, a 4km stretch of the original line, together with the station at Grande Chaloupe, were rehabilitated to provide a tourist passenger service.
In 2019, public consultation started on the first 10km section of a new tram route serving the island’s capital, Saint Denis. It is proposed that the line will eventually extend to Saint Benoît and Saint Pierre.
|Railways in Overseas France|
|Railways in France|
|Railways of the World|
|Glyn Williams’ Home|