Railway Stations, Churches
and other religious sites
in Great Britain and Ireland
Here you will find details of railway features that take their
name from nearby churches or other religious establishments,
existing or historical. In general, stations named after
towns or villages which themselves have religious names, as
distinct from being named directly after a church or similar
building in a community, are not included.
The information on this page essentially represents work in
progress and further information will be appreciated - please Email me. Where this symbol §
appears, additional information will be particularly welcome.
A B C
F H K
L M N
P St A
St B St C
St D St E
St F St G
St H St I
St J St L
St M St N
St P St R
St T St V
St W S T
- Abbey (Cumbria)
- Station (NY174509) and junction (NY180516). Line from Drumburgh
to Silloth opened 1856, with Abbey station. Abbey Junction created
1869 with opening of line to Brayton, Solway Junction Railway.
Abbey station renamed Abbey Town 1889. Brayton line closed and
ceased to form a junction 1933. Remaining line and station closed
1964. Near the remains of Applegarth Abbey (NY177508).
- Abbey (Nuneaton)
- Junction (SP355926). A nearby station was named Abbey Street.
Line from Whitacre Junction to Nuneaton Midland Junction opened
1864, Midland Railway, passing above the main line of the London
& North Western Railway without connection. Abbey Junction
created 1867, with spur connecting with the London & North
Western line. Another line from the junction, the Ashby &
Nuneaton Joint Committee line to Moira and Coalville, opened 1873.
Last section of latter line closed by 1971. Flyover closed and
Abbey Junction abolished 1992. Line to former London & North
Western station remains open. Flyover reopened 2012 with connection
to down side of West Coast Main Line, but no connection to former Abbey
Junction. Junction was located a little over ¼ mile from the site of
Nuneaton Priory (approx SP357923), also known (incorrectly) as Nuneaton
- Abbey (St Alban’s)
- Station (TL145064). St Alban’s station opened 1858, London
& North Western Railway. Renamed St Alban’s Abbey 1924.
Remains open. About ½ mile from
St Alban’s Cathedral and Abbey Church.
- Abbey (Shrewsbury)
- Station (SJ498124). Opened 1866, Potteries, Shrewsbury &
North Wales Railway. Closed to passengers 1933. Closed completely
1968. Near Shrewsbury Abbey. Abbey Foregate station (SJ502127) on
the Shrewsbury & Birmingham line takes its name from the
thoroughfare, rather than directly from the Abbey.
- Abbey (Stoke-on-Trent)
- Level crossing (SJ901491). Line and crossing opened 1860,
North Staffordshire Railway. Closed 1989, although line remains
in situ. The crossing name probably refers to nearby Abbey Farm,
the precise location of Hulton Abbey having been lost at the time
the railway was opened. Remains of the Abbey were later rediscovered
in open ground near the junction of Leek Road and Woodhead Road
(SJ906492), where they can be seen today.
- Abbey (Waterford)
- Junction (approx S612127, Irish grid). Line from Waterford to
New Ross opened 1904, Dublin, Wicklow & Wexford Railway.
Waterford, Abbey Junction (Gaelic Port Láirge Gabhal an
Mhainistir) created 1906 with opening of line to Felthouse
Junction (near Rosslare), Fishguard and Rosslare Railways &
Harbours Company. Line to New Ross closed to passengers 1963,
remains open for occasional freight. Line from Waterford to
Rosslare remains open. Junction near Abbey Street, which marks
the site of an ancient abbey of which just a few ruins remain.
- Abbey (West Dereham)
- Station (TL655997). Opened 1862, Downham & Stoke Ferry
Railway. Abbey station renamed Abbey & West Dereham 1923.
Closed 1930. Line from Abbey to Stoke Ferry closed 1965,
remainder of line closed 1982. The remains of West Dereham
Abbey lie about ½ mile away (TF661005).
- Abbey (Wymondham)
- Station (TG104015). Line from Wymondham to Dereham opened
1846, Norfolk Railway. Closed 1989. Reopened as a tourist line
circa 1999, Mid Norfolk Railway, with Wymondham Abbey
station. Near Wymondham Abbey Church.
- All Saints
- Station (TQ380810). Line from Bow to Poplar opened 1851,
East & West India Docks & Birmingham Junction Railway.
Closed 1981. Reopened 1987, Docklands Light Railway, with All
Saints station. Near All Saints Church, East India Dock Road,
London E14 0EH.
Back to Top
- Bow Church
- Station (TQ380810). Line from Bow to Poplar opened 1851,
East & West India Docks & Birmingham Junction Railway.
Closed 1981. Reopened 1987, Docklands Light Railway, with Bow
Church station. About ¼ mile from Bow Road
Methodist Church, 1 Merchant Street, London E3 4LY, whose
premises are shared with the Anglican parish of Holy Trinity.
Not to be confused with St Mary-le-Bow Church, Cheapside, London
EC2V 6AU, also known as Bow Church and celebrated for the
sound of Bow Bells.
Back to Top
- Cahir Abbey
- Sidings (S047252, Irish grid). Line from Tipperary to Clonmel
opened 1852, Waterford & Limerick Railway. Sidings opened,
date unknown, with cattle dock. Cattle dock closed, date unknown,
but sidings remained open for unloading of tar bitumen for road
works until circa 1978. Line remains open. Near the ruins of St Mary’s
Priory, also known as Cahir Abbey.
- Capel Bangor
- Station (SN647798). Opened 1902, Vale of Rheidol Railway,
a 600 mm gauge line. Remains open. The surrounding area was known
as Bangor from the middle ages. A Calvinist Chapel was built at
Penllwyn (SN653804) in 1790. This Capel Bangor subsequently gave
its name back to the developing village.
- Capel Soar
- Level crossing (SN609895). Line from Borth to Aberystwyth
opened 1864, Aberystwyth & Welsh Coast Railway, with level
crossing at Borth, Capel Soar. Line and crossing remain open.
Near the Calvinist Capel Soar.
- Chapel (Cornwall)
- Level crossing (SW841607). Line opened as a horse drawn
mineral tramway (with level crossing at Chapel) 1849, Treffry
Tramways. Line rebuilt as a standard gauge steam hauled railway
1874, Cornwall Minerals Railway. Line and crossing remain open.
The crossing is located in a hamlet known as Chapel. This small
cluster of farms and other dwellings takes its name from a medieval
chapel that reputedly once stood on the site, but there are few
records relating to the building and there were no traces of it on
the ground even at the time when the railway was built.
- Chapel (Southampton)
- Level crossing (SU428116). Line from Northam Road to
Southampton (Docks) opened 1840, London & South Western
Railway, with Chapel Crossing level crossing and signal box.
Box closed 1981, crossing renamed Chapel Road Crossing and
reduced to AOCL status. The Chapel after which the crossing
was named has disappeared, it was probably replaced in the 1920s
by the construction of the Methodist Central Hall, now the
New Community Church, Central Hall, St Mary
Street, Southampton SO14 1NF.
- Christ Church
- Tram stop (NZ397560). Opened 1879, Sunderland Tramways
Company, as the terminus of a horse tram route. Electrified 1900,
Sunderland Corporation Tramways. Line extended southwards 1904. Closed
1954. Near Christ Church, at the junction of Ryhope Road and Mowbray
Road. The Church was declared redundant in 1998 and sold to bemome
the Guru Gobind Singh Sikh Temple.
- Sidings (approx TL927138). Line from Kelvedon to Tollesbury opened
1888, Kelvedon, Tiptree & Tollesbury Light Railway, a subsidiary of
the Great Eastern Railway. Line closed beyond Tiptree 1954. Date of
opening and closing of sidings not known §.
Near All Saints Church, Rectory Road, Tolleshunt Knights, Maldon CM9 8EZ.
- Cross Chapel
- Tram stop (N994166, Irish grid). Opened 1888, Dublin
& Blessington Steam Tramway. Line and stop closed 1933.
The Cross Chapel is located a short distance up a side road.
Back to Top
- Friars Field
- Horse tram depot (approx ST313879). Opened 1874, Newport Tramways
Company. Closed 1886. Off Union Road, now Friars Street. The Field
originally served the Monastery of Austin (or Augustinian) Friars,
which lay a short distance to the north. The remains of the Monastery,
long in ruins, had already been demolished in the early part of the
- Friary (Plymouth)
- Station (SX486546). Goods station opened 1878, London & South
Western Railway (through its then wholly owned subsidiary, Plymouth &
Dartmoor Railway); adjacent passenger station opened 1891, London &
South Western Railway (in its own right). Closed to passengers 1958,
original goods station closed 1963 although site continued in use for
freight traffic until 1976, the line being closed and lifted soon
afterwards. Station occupied the site of a 14th century Carmelite Friary.
Following the dissolution the building became a private house, Friary
Court; but in 1836 it was demolished, having been abandoned and derelict
for some years. The site is now occupied by industrial units, and a housing
development with the name of White Friars Lane. Friary Junction
(SX499549) was located almost 1 mile (1.4 km) to the east, at the point
where the London & South Western Railway line to Friary station left
the Great Western Railway branch line leading to Sutton Harbour. Ceased
to be a junction with the closure of the Sutton Harbour line in 1973, but
through lines with part of the Friary line remain in use for freight
services on the Cattewater branch. Friary Engine Shed (SX495547)
opened 1908, London & South Western Railway, to replace an earlier
facility located at the station. Closed 1963.
- Furness Abbey
- Station (SD218719) and tunnel. Line from Barrow-in-Furness
(Rabbit Hill) to Dalton-in-Furness and Kirkby-in-Furness opened
1846, Furness Railway, with Furness Abbey Tunnel (76 yards,
69 m). Station opened 1847, closed 1950. Line and tunnel remain
open. Near the remains of Furness Abbey.
Back to Top
- Holywell (Hackney)
- Viaduct (TQ333824). Line from Broad Street to Dalston opened 1865
North London Railway, with Viaduct. Closed 1986. Planned to reopen 2010
as part of the London Overground East London Line. The district of
Holywell takes its name from a Well located in the grounds of the former
Benedictine nunnery of St John the Baptist. The exact location is
uncertain, but is believed to be in the vicinity of present day
Batemans Row, alongside the viaduct.
- Holywell (North Wales)
- See St Winefride’s.
Back to Top
- Kirkham Abbey
- Station and level crossing (SE733657). Line from York to
Scarborough opened 1845, York & North Midland Railway,
with Kirkham station. Station renamed Kirkham Abbey, 1875.
Station closed 1930. Signal box retained as block post and
to control level crossing. Line, box and crossing remain open.
About ¼ mile from the remains of Kirkham Priory,
also known as Kirkham Abbey (SE736657).
- Kirkstall Abbey
- Tram stop (approx SE261361) and station (SE261359). Horse drawn
tram line from Leeds City Centre to Kirkstall Abbey opened circa 1870
by a private company. Some horse drawn services replaced by steam trams
from circa 1880. Line absorbed into Leeds Corporation Tramways, 1894.
Line electrified, 1897. Line extended to Horsforth circa 1910.
Section from Kirkstall Abbey to Horsforth closed 1949. Route closed
completely 1954. Station on narrow gauge tourist railway opened 1976,
Abbey Light Railway. Line and station closed 2012. Both locations near
the remains of Kirkstall Abbey (SE260362).
Back to Top
- Long Meg
- Viaduct (NY561377), signal box (NY562375) and sidings.
Line from Settle Junction to Carlisle opened 1875, Midland
Railway, with Long Meg Viaduct (also known as Eden Lacy Viaduct).
Signal box opened 1896, controlling access to mine company’s
sidings. Mine, sidings and signal box closed 1915, reopened
1922. Mine and sidings closed 1976, signal box retained as a
block post. Signal box closed 1983, demolished 2013.
Line and viaduct remain open. Long Meg is a tall
standing stone near an extensive stone circle (Long Meg’s
daughters) located on a hilltop about ½ mile away
(NY571372), making these perhaps the only railway features
to be named after a Stone Age monument.
Back to Top
- Monk’s Abbey
- Signal Box (approx SK993713). Line from Lincoln to Wrawby opened
1848, Manchester Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway, with signal box
at Monk’s Abbey. Signal box closed during the 1980s. Line remains open.
Near the ruins of Monk’s Abbey.
- Monk Spring
- Junction (SE371046). Line from Wombwell to Barnsley
opened 1897, Midland Railway. Junction created 1899 with
opening of line to Cudworth. Latter line closed 1962,
junction abolished. Signal box believed to have been retained
as block post until 1998, when control transferred to Barnsley.
Original line remains open. In spite of the delightfully
evocative name, there seems to be no record of how it
- Mourne Abbey
- Station (W575921, Irish grid). Line from Limerick Junction
to Cork opened 1849, Great Southern & Western Railway.
Station opened 1892, closed 1963. Line remains open. About
¼ mile from the ruins of Mourne Abbey, around which
the small village of Mourneabbey has grown up.
Back to Top
- Nunnery (Castle Hedingham)
- Signal box (TL777359). Line opened 1862, Colne Valley
& Halstead Railway, closed 1964. Reopened 1986 as a
tourist line, the Colne Valley Railway. Nunnery Junction
Signal Box opened 1987 controlling access to the runround
loop at the southern end of the line. The end of the line
is near a former nunnery, which became a farmhouse on the
dissolution. Now Nunnery Farm, Nunnery Street, Castle
Hedingham, Halstead CO9 3DR.
- Nunnery (Sheffield)
- Junctions, tunnel, goods station and tram depot. Line
from Tapton Junction to Grimesthorpe Junction via Sheffield
opened 1870, Midland Railway, with a short spur from the main
line connecting with the Manchester, Sheffield &
Lincolnshire Railway. Both main line and spur ran through two
short tunnels just north of the junction: Broad Street Tunnel
(113 yards, 103m) and Nunnery Tunnel (40 yards, 37 m; also known
as Cricket Inn Tunnel). Spur
closed 1895. City goods station (SK368877) opened 1895, London
& North Western Railway. New City goods station (approx
SK360877) opened 1903, original City station renamed Nunnery.
New spur opened 1908, Midland Railway, Nunnery Colliery
Branch Junction (SK363876) to Nunnery Colliery. New connection
opened 1924, London, Midland & Scottish Railway, from
former Midland Railway Nunnery Colliery branch at Nunnery
Single Line Junction (SK368878) to former London &
North Western Railway east of Nunnery Goods station, thus
allowing trains from the Midland line to reach the London
& North Eastern Railway (former Manchester, Sheffield &
Lincolnshire) at Woodburn Junction. At same date, Nunnery
Colliery Branch Junction renamed Nunnery Main Line Junction.
Colliery closed, circa 1951. Line from Nunnery Main Line
Junction reconnected to former Manchester, Sheffield &
Lincolnshire line at Nunnery Junction (previously Nunnery
Single Line Junction), 1965, British Rail; City goods station
closed. Nunnery goods station closed 1977. Nunnery Junction
abolished circa 1982, spur from Main Line Junction extended
as double track to join former Manchester, Sheffield &
Lincolnshire line at Woodburn Junction. These lines remain
in use, as does the former Midland Railway main line with
Nunnery Main Line Junction. Tram depot (SK373878) opened 1994,
South Yorkshire Supertram. Remains open. All apparently named
after Nunnery Colliery which stood nearby (approx SK373877).
Nunnery Colliery took its name from Nunnery Farm, presumably at
one time the farm of an actual Nunnery, though I have been unable
to locate any information about the latter §.
Back to Top
- Old Chapel
- Level crossing (SH913019). Line from Moat Lane Junction
to Machynlleth opened 1863, Newtown & Machynlleth Railway,
with level crossing. Line and crossing remain open. Near y Hen
Gapel, or Old Chapel, Dolfach, Llanbrynmair SY19 7AF.
Back to Top
- Patrick’s Well
- Level crossing (S169230, Irish grid). Opened 1852,
Waterford & Limerick Railway. Remains open. Near
a Chapel incorporating the ancient St Patrick’s Well.
- Priory (Dover)
- Station (TR314415) and tunnel. Dover Town station opened
1861, London, Chatham & Dover Railway. Renamed Dover Priory,
1863. Remains open. The 684 yard (625 m) Priory Tunnel lies
just south of the station. Both near the former St Martin’s
Priory, now Dover College, Crescent House,
Effingham Crescent, Dover CT17 9RH.
- Priory (Wrabness)
- Halt (approx TM167314) and signal box. Line from Manningtree to
Harwich opened 1854, Eastern Union Railway. Date of opening and closing
of halt and signal box unknown §.
Line remains open (with some realignments, not in the immediate area of
Wrabness). There does not appear to be any trace of a Priory in the
immediate vicinity; the location apparently takes its name from Priory
Farm, about ½ mile to the south, which was probably an outlier of a
large Priory such as St Botolph’s §.
Back to Top
- St Andrew’s (Avonmouth)
- Junction (ST514786). Line from Avonmouth Docks to Pilning
Junction opened 1900, Great Western Railway. Line from Avonmouth
Dock Station (present Avonmouth) opened 1906, jointly by Great
Western and Midland Railways, creating St Andrew’s Junction.
Line from Docks closed 1967, St Andrew’s Junction Signal Box
retained to control level crossing and as block post. Remains
open. Near St Andrew’s Church, Richmond Terrace, Avonmouth,
Bristol BS11 9EW.
- St Andrew’s (Birmingham)
- Junction (SP091869). Line from Camp Hill to Grand Junction
opened 1841, Birmingham & Gloucester Railway. St Andrew’s
Junction created with opening of line from Landor Street
Junction, 1866, Midland Railway. All lines and junction remain
open. About ¼ mile from St Andrew’s Church, Bordesley
(approx SP088866), which no longer exists.
- St Andrew’s (Derby)
- Goods station (SK352353). Opened 1871, London &
North Western Railway, to provide their own goods facilities
separate from those of the Midland Railway. Closed 1971,
but two sidings parallel to the main line retain the name
St Andrew’s Sidings. Near St Andrew’s Church, demolished in
the 1960s to make way for an office block: St. Andrews House,
201 London Road, Derby DE1 2TZ.
- St Ann’s or St Anne’s (Blarney)
- Station (approx W588752, Irish grid). Opened 1887, Cork
& Muskerry Light Railway, a 3 foot (914 mm) gauge line.
Line closed 1934. The station served the St Ann’s Hydro, which
appears to have taken its name from a Holy Well a little to the
- St Ann’s (Faversham)
- Level crossing (TR009609). Line from Rochester to
Faversham opened 1858, East Kent Railway, with level crossing
at Hangman’s Lane. Hangman’s Lane renamed St Ann’s Road, late
19th century, reason for choice of new name not apparent.
Level crossing reduced to status of occupation crossing and
St Ann’s Crossing signal box abolished, unknown date. Line
- St Ann’s Well (Nottingham)
- Station (about SK589420). Opened 1889, Nottingham
Suburban Railway. Station closed 1916. Line closed to through
traffic 1941, and completely 1951. By the 19th Century, the
area known as St Ann’s (or St Anne’s) Well was a popular
location for pleasure outings, although the precise original
location of the Holy Well had been lost. Owswell is recorded
in medieval times as the source of Nottingham Beck; by
1409 a Hermitage had been established in its vicinity. King
Henry IV visited it in that year and endowed a chapel of
St Anne, which later gave its name to the well. The well site
had been built over by the 18th century. The local landscape
has been considerably altered since the closure of the railway,
with much infilling and building work, and the line is virtually
untraceable on the ground today.
- St Anthony’s
- Station (NZ285631). Opened 1879, North Eastern Railway.
Closed 1960. Line closed 1985. Near St Anthony’s Church,
Belmont Street, Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE6 3SN; not to
be confused with St Anthony’s Roman Catholic Church,
Church Street, Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE6 3BT.
Back to Top
- St Barnabas
- Tram stop (approx NZ405560). Opened 1904, Sunderland Corporation
Tramways. Closed 1954. Near the Church of St Barnabas, Middle Hendon.
The Church was badly damaged by bombing during World War II but reopened
and continued in use until 1967. It has since been demolished. The site
is marked by St Barnabas Way.
- St Bede’s
- Junction (approx NZ345645). Line from Pelaw to Tyne
Dock via Jarrow opened 1872, North Eastern Railway.
Shorter route formed by a cutoff from St Bede’s Junction to
Bottom Junction, opened circa 1885 with creation of both
junctions. Both lines and junctions closed 1984. Original
line (no junction) reopened 1984, Tyne & Wear Metro,
with new station: Bede (NZ344645). Remains open. It appears
that the name was given to the junction not because of any
particular neighbouring landmark, but simply because of the
importance of St Bede in the history of the Jarrow area.
He lived and worked at St Paul’s Monastery, and was buried
in St Paul’s Church (Church Bank, Jarrow NE32 3DZ), although
his remains were later translated to Durham Cathedral.
Back to Top
- St Catherine’s (Doncaster)
- Junction (SK594995). Line from Rotherham Lane (near Maltby) to
Kirk Sandall Junction opened 1909, South Yorkshire Joint Railway,
with connections from St Catherine’s Junction to the Great Northern
and Great Eastern joint line at Decoy South Junction and Black Carr
East Junction, also connection opened by the Dearne Valley Railway
to its own line at Black Carr West Junction. Line to Black Carr
East Junction closed, date uncertain. Line to Black Carr West
Junction closed 1985. Main line, junction and connection to Decoy
South Junction remain open. About 2 miles from St Catherine’s
- St Catherine’s (Guildford)
- Tunnel (SU994482). Opened 1849, London & South Western
Railway. Remains open. The 132 yard (120 m) St Catherine’s Tunnel
(also known as Sand Tunnel) runs below St Catherine’s Chapel.
- St Cross
- Overbridge (SU473270). Opened 1838, London & South Western
Railway. Remains open. The long, skewed overbridge has an arch 62 yards
(57 m) in length at rail level, resembling a tunnel, and in consequence is
sometimes referred to as St Cross Tunnel. It takes the railway beneath St
Cross Road, about ½ mile from the ancient almshouses and church of St
Cross Hospital, St Cross Road, Winchester SO23 9SD.
Back to Top
- St David’s (Exeter)
- Station (SX911933) and Tunnel (SX915929). Exeter St David’s
station opened 1844, Bristol & Exeter Railway. Broad gauge
line, converted to mixed gauge 1862 and standard gauge 1892.
The 184 yard (168 m) tunnel under St David’s Hill opened 1862,
London & South Western Railway, on the (standard gauge) line
connecting their own Exeter Queen Street (now Central) station
with St David’s station. Stations and tunnel remain open. Near St
David’s Church (SX915931).
- St David’s (Llanelli)
- Junction (approx SS512990). Line from Llanelly Docks to Dafen
opened 1833, Llanelly Railway & Dock Company. Junction created
with opening of line to Llanelly (now Llanelli) station, 1850.
All lines closed 1963. Near St David’s Church on Stanley Street,
which was converted into housing circa 2007.
- St Devereux
- Station (SO440310). Opened 1853, Newport, Abergavenny &
Hereford Railway. Closed 1958. line remains open. Near St Devereux
- St Dunstan’s
- Station (SE167321) and Junctions. Line from Hammerton Street
Junction to Mill Lane Junction opened 1867, Great Northern Railway,
with closure to passengers of Adolphus Street station. Line to
City Road goods station opened 1876, with creation of St Dunstan’s
East and West Junctions. Station opened 1877, closed 1952. Line
to City Road closed 1972, junctions out of use. Original line
remains. St Dunstan was a Bishop of Bradford in the 10th century
and it seems likely that there was a church dedicated to him,
but I have not located any records §.
Back to Top
- St Enoch
- Station and underground station (NS590649). Station opened
1876, City of Glasgow Union Railway. Closed 1966. Now a
shopping centre. Underground station opened 1896, Glasgow District
Subway Company, a 4 foot (1220 mm) gauge cable hauled system.
Converted to electric traction 1935. Closed 1977 to 1979 for
extensive modernisation. Remains open. St Enoch’s Church stood
in St Enoch’s Square, next to the station. The church was closed
in the 1920s and replaced by St Enoch’s Hogganfield Church, 860 Cumbernauld
Road, Glasgow G33 2QW
Back to Top
- St Fintan’s
- Tram stop (O271381, Irish grid). Opened 1901, Hill of
Howth Tramway, an Irish standard gauge electric tramway wholly
owned by the Great Northern Railway of Ireland. Line closed 1959.
Near St Fintan’s Church, Sutton, Co Dublin. The church was
replaced by a modern building in 1973.
- St Fort
- Station (NO411242) and junctions. Line from Leuchars Junction to
Dundee via Tay Bridge opened 1878, North British Railway, with
St Fort station. Line to Glenbirnie opened 1909, Newburgh and North
Fife Railway, with creation of Station Junction, South and West
Junctions. Line between South and West Junctions closed 1912.
Line to Glenbirnie closed 1964, when station ceased to be a junction.
Station closed 1965. Original line from Leuchars Junction to Tay
Bridge remains open. Not named after a church, the village name is
actually that of a local family and is probably a corruption of
Back to Top
- St Gabriel’s
- Station (SS641942). Oystermouth Railway opened 1807 as a tramway
from Swansea to Mumbles. Authorities differ as to its gauge, which
may have been 48 inch (1219 mm) or 50 inch (1270 mm). Rebuilt as
standard gauge circa 1856. Gorse Lane station opened 1877. Renamed
St Gabriel’s 1900. Closed 1922. Line closed 1960. About ¼
mile from St Gabriel’s Church, Bryn Road, Brynmill,
Swansea SA2 0AP.
- St George’s (London)
- Two neighbouring stations (TQ349810). Shadwell station opened 1840,
London & Blackwall Railway. Renamed Shadwell & St George’s East,
1900. Closed 1941. Line remains open. Shadwell station opened 1876, East
London Railway. Renamed Shadwell & St George’s in the East, 1900.
Renamed Shadwell, circa 1918. Remains open. Line now part of London
Underground although there are proposals to reintegrate it with the
overground network. Shadwell station on the Docklands Light Railway
(opened 1987) is on the line of the London & Blackwall Railway but
some distance east of the original station. All stations near
St George’s in the East Church, Cannon Street Road, London E1 0BH.
Church destroyed by bombing, 1941, rebuilt on same site 1960.
- St George’s (Wolverhampton)
- Station (SO916985). Opened 1999, Midland Metro. Remains open.
Near the former St George’s Church, the structure of which has been
incorporated into the supermarket of J Sainsbury plc, 20 St George’s
Parade, Wolverhampton WV2 1AY.
- St Germain’s (Isle of Man)
- Station and level crossing (SC270855). Opened 1879, Manx Northern
Railway, a 3 foot (914 mm) gauge line. Station closed 1961. Line closed
1968. The name does not appear to derive from any nearby feature, but
from St Germain’s Cathedral in Peel, some 2 miles away.
- St Germain’s (Norfolk)
- Station and level crossing (TF617139). Opened 1846, Lynn & Ely
Railway. Station closed 1850. Line and level crossing remain open.
Although a nearby farm is said to stand on the site of a ruined abbey,
the name appears to relate to the church in the village of St Germain’s
(or St German’s, or Wiggenhall St Germans), ½ mile away
Back to Top
- St Harmon’s
- Station (SN988728). Line from Llanidloes to Talyllyn Junction
opened 1864, Mid Wales Railway. Station opened 1879. Line and
station closed 1962. Next to the Church of St Garmon or St Harmon, which has given its name to the village
of St Harmon.
Back to Top
- St Ishmael’s
- Sea wall (SN362083 to SN363094). Line from Landore to Carmarthen
opened 1852, South Wales Railway, with St Ishmael’s Sea Wall. Broad
gauge line, converted to standard gauge 1872. Remains open. Southern
end of sea wall near St Ishmael’s Church (SN363084).
Back to Top
- St James (Bath)
- Viaduct (ST751643). Opened 1840, Great Western Railway, a broad
gauge line. Converted to mixed gauge 1874, standard gauge 1892. Remains
open. Near St James’ Church, which was destroyed in the Second World War;
its exact location is unclear §
- St James (Cheltenham)
- Two stations, both named Cheltenham Spa St James: first station
(approx ST944246) opened 1847, Great Western Railway, terminus of
mixed gauge line from Gloucester. Line converted to standard gauge
1872. Line extended to new second station (ST945245) and first
station closed 1894. Line and second station closed 1966. Not named
after a church (St James Church, Suffolk Square is some ¾ mile
to the south, the opposite side of the City Centre), but after nearby
St James Square. It is believed that the Square, developed in the early
decades of the 19th century, was given its name to reflect that of a
fashionable district of London.
- St James (Liverpool)
- Station (SJ352890) and tunnels. Station opened 1874, Cheshire Lines
Committee, with a series of 4 short tunnels (185, 172, 153 and 211 yards;
169, 157, 140 and 193 m) leading away to the south. Station closed 1916.
Line and tunnels remain open. Near St James’ Mount, which takes its name
from an old church, now disappeared. The Anglican Cathedral
now stands on part of the Mount.
- St James (Loscoe)
- Tram stop (approx SK424475). Opened 1913, Nottinghamshire &
Derbyshire Tramways Company. Closed 1932. Near St James’ Church.
- St James (Newcastle)
- Metro station (NZ243645). Opened 1982, Tyne & Wear Metro.
Remains open. Not named after a church, but after the nearby stadium
of Newcastle United Football Club, which was then known as St James’
Park, a name which it had carried since the 19th century when the club
was established. The origin of the name of the Park is not clear §,
but of course any member of the Toon Army will tell you that this is a
site of (almost) religious significance - and equally that the change
of name to the Sports Direct Arena in 2011 was an act of desecration!
- St James (Paisley)
- Station (NS472648). Line from Paisley to Greenock opened 1841, Glasgow,
Paisley & Greenock Railway. Paisley St James station opened 1883,
Caledonian Railway; original Paisley station renamed Paisley Gilmour
Street. Remains open. In 2010 received bilingual station name boards,
Paisley St James / Eaglais Sheumais Phàislig. About ½ mile from St James
Church, Underwood Road, Paisley PA3 1TL.
- St John’s (Bedford)
- Two stations. Bedford station (TL053489) opened 1846, as terminus of
the Bedford Railway line from Bletchley. Line extended to Sandy, 1862,
Bedford & Cambridge Railway. Station later known as Bedford (LNW) to
distinguish it from Bedford (Midland). Renamed Bedford St John’s, 1924.
Line to Sandy closed beyond Goldington Sidings 1968, and completely 1981.
Original station and line from West Junction closed 1984. New Bedford St
John’s station (TL050490) opened 1984 on curve from West Junction to LNW
Junction on the former Midland Railway line. Remains open. Both stations
near St John’s Church, 38 St Johns Street, Bedford
- St John’s (Glasgow)
- Junction (approx NS600649) and tunnel. Line from Clyde Junction to High
Street East Junction opened 1871, City of Glasgow Union Railway. St John’s
Junction created 1893, Glasgow & South Western Railway, with opening of
spur to Gallowgate Junction, allowing the company’s trains to access the
Bridgeton Cross (later Bridgeton Central) station of the North British
Railway. Spur ran via St John’s Tunnel, also known as Barrack Street Tunnel.
Spur closed 1913. Original line closed to passenger traffic 1966, remains
open for freight. Near St John’s Church, which stood at the junction of
Gallowgate and McFarlane Street (NS601647).
- St John’s (London)
- Station (TQ374763). Line from North Kent East Junction to Charlton via
Lewisham and Blackheath opened 1849, South Eastern Railway. Station opened
1873. Remains open. Near St John’s Church, St Johns Vale, London SE8 4EA.
- St Julian’s
- Bridge (ST321902). Line from Newport to Pontypool via Caerleon opened
1874, Pontypool, Caerleon & Newport Railway, with St Julian’s River
Bridge. Remains open. Bridge adjacent to the St Julian’s Estate of the
Herbert family, which included St Julian’s House, said to have been built
on the site of an old Chapel containing the relics of St Julian (or Julius).
A new St Julian’s Church was opened in 1891, on a site in Durham Road.
Although a temporary building, this survived until 1926, when it was replaced
by the present day Church of Ss Julius & Aaron, St Julian’s Avenue,
Newport NP19 7JT.
Back to Top
- St Laurence (Dublin)
- Tram stop (approx O088349, Irish grid). Opened 1881, Dublin
& Lucan Tramway, a 3 foot (914 mm) gauge steam hauled line.
Converted to 3 foot 6 inch (1067 mm) gauge electric traction
circa 1900, Dublin & Lucan Electric Tramway. Line closed 1927.
Reopened 1928, Dublin United Tramway Company, as an Irish standard
gauge electric tramway. Line finally closed 1940. Near St
Laurence’s Church, Chapelizod, Co Dublin (O091354).
- St Lawrence (Bodmin)
- Platform (SX049664). Line from Bodmin to Boscarne Junction
opened 1888, Great Western Railway. Platform opened 1906, closed
1917. Line closed 1983, subsequently reopened as a tourist line
(Bodmin & Wenford Railway). Near the
ancient Hospital of St Lawrence, which is now part of the
Bodmin Hospital, Boundary Road, Bodmin PL31 2QT. The former hospital
chapel is now the Church of St Lawrence with St Leonard.
- St Lawrence (Ramsgate)
- Various stations and junctions:
All these features take their name from the village of St Lawrence, now
part of Ramsgate. The village in turn takes its name from the church
of St Laurence (note difference in spelling), High Street, St Lawrence,
Ramsgate CT11 0QH.
- Junction (TR371656). Line from Canterbury to Ramsgate opened 1846,
from Ramsgate to Margate opened later same year, South Eastern Railway.
The station in Ramsgate was located at the junction of Station Approach
Road and Margate Road (TR387655), opposite the Shakespeare Inn which
is marked on contemporary maps and remains open. The station site is
now occupied by flats. Chord connecting Canterbury line to Margate line,
avoiding station, opened 1863, with St Lawrence Junction on Canterbury
line. Ramsgate station renamed Ramsgate Town 1899, South Eastern &
Chatham Railway. Line from St Lawrence Junction via new stations at
Ramsgate and Dumpton Park to a point on the former East Kent Railway
line north of Ramsgate Tunnel (see below), opened 1926, Southern Railway.
Same date Ramsgate Town station closed, together with the line towards
Margate and the connecting chord. Line from Canterbury through Ramsgate
and Dumpton Park stations to the East Kent line remain open. A short
section of the line from St Lawrence Junction towards Ramsgate Town
remains in use as sidings but the junction ceased to carry the name
when its operation was transferred to Ramsgate Signal Box located at the
new station. The Signal Box was decommissioned in 2011 by Network Rail
when its functions were taken over by the East Kent Signalling Centre in
Gillingham but is likely to remain in situ as a listed building.
- Station (TR369656). St Lawrence (Pegwell Bay) station opened 1864,
South Eastern Railway, on the line from Canterbury west of St Lawrence
Junction. Station closed 1916.
- Station (TR386648). Line from Herne Bay to Ramsgate via Margate
opened 1863, East Kent Railway. The station in Ramsgate was located near
the Harbour, on what is now a patch of level ground below the Esplanade
wall; it was reached by a 1230 yard (1125 m) tunnel, the southern
entrance to which can be seen on Marine Esplanade, opposite the turning
circle for cars. Station renamed Ramsgate & St Lawrence-on-Sea, 1871,
London, Chatham & Dover Railway. Renamed Ramsgate Harbour, 1899,
South Eastern & Chatham Railway. Station and tunnel closed 1926 with
opening of new line through Ramsgate station connecting with former
South Eastern Railway. The tunnel was used as an air raid shelter during
the Second World War.
- Junction (TR375659). With the closure of Ramsgate Signal Box and
the transfer of its functions to East Kent Signalling Centre in 2011 by
Network Rail, the complex of pointwork to the east of the station giving
access to Southeastern’s Ramsgate Maintenance Depot was given the name
St Lawrence Junction. Remains open.
- St Lawrence (Ventnor)
- Station (approx SZ535767) and tunnel. Ventnor St Lawrence
station opened 1897 as temporary terminus of Newport, Godshill
& St Lawrence Railway, with a tunnel located a little distance
to the north east. Line extended to Town 1900, original station
renamed St Lawrence. Line, stations and tunnel closed 1952.
Near the Old Church of St Lawrence.
- St Leonard’s (Edinburgh)
- Station (approx NT267728), tunnel and incline. Line from
Dalhousie opened 1831, Edinburgh & Dalkeith Railway,
approaching St Leonard’s via a tunnel and incline. Station
opened to passengers 1834, closed 1860. Line closed 1968.
Built on an area of land known since the Middle Ages as St Leonard’s,
once belonging to the Abbey of Holyrood and becoming part of the
City of Edinburgh following the Reformation.
- St Luke’s
- Two stations, later combined as one (approx SD347168). Line from
Wigan to Southport (London Street) opened 1855, jointly by Lancashire
& Yorkshire and East Lancashire Railways, with Garton Street
station. Station renamed St Luke’s Road, 1883. Line from Hesketh Bank
opened 1878, West Lancashire Railway, to terminus at Windsor Road.
Line extended to Southport (Central) 1882, Windsor Road station
renamed Ash Street. St Luke’s Road and Ash Street stations combined
1902, Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway, renamed St Luke’s. Line
from Hesketh Bank closed 1964. Direct line from Pool Hey Junction
to St Luke’s (not via Meols Cop) closed 1965. St Luke’s station
closed 1968. Line from Wigan to Southport via Meols Cop remains open.
A little over ¼ mile from St Luke’s Church, St Luke’s Road, Southport PR9 9AP.
Back to Top
- St Margaret’s (Hertfordshire)
- Station (TL382118). Opened 1843, Northern & Eastern Railway.
The line was originally constructed to a gauge of 5ft, but was converted
to standard gauge the following year. Remains open. Arguably named after
the village of St Margaret’s (which was already in existence at the time
the railway opened) rather than the Church; however, the village was then
properly known as Stanstead St Margaret’s, being essentially an outgrowth
from Stanstead Abbots on the opposite side of the River Lea. As in many
other places, the village increased considerably in size with the arrival
of the railway, and is now generally known simply as St Margaret’s (like
the station). St Margaret’s Church, Hoddesdon Road, Stanstead Abbots,
Ware SG12 8EG is a short distance to the southwest.
- St Margaret’s (Edinburgh)
- Station (NT280742). Meadowbank station opened 1846, North
British Railway. Renamed The Queens 1850. Station extended
and renamed St Margaret’s 1860. Station closed circa 1900.
Line remains open. The extension of 1860 occupied the site of
St Margaret’s Holy Well. The well house that had formerly
covered the well was moved to St David’s Well in Holyrood
Park (NT271737), which thereafter became known as St Margaret’s
Well. St Margaret’s Parish Church, 176 Restalrig Road South,
Edinburgh EH7 6EA lies about ½ mile to the north.
- St Margaret’s (North Queensferry)
- Tunnel (about NT125810). Line from North Queensferry Pier
to Dunfermline opened 1877, North British Railway. Closed to
passenger traffic 1890, on the opening of the Forth Bridge.
Remained open for freight until 1954, when line to pier and
tunnel closed. Ran under St Margaret’s Head, named after
St Margaret, Queen of Scotland. Legend speaks of a shipwreck
from which the young Margaret was saved, later to become Queen
and Saint, but details are unclear because the event is often
confused with a later shipwreck in which another Margaret,
known as the Maid of Norway, lost her life when on her way
to Scotland to marry Edward, the future King of England.
- St Margaret’s (Twickenham)
- Station (TQ168742). Line from Richmond to Datchet opened
1848, Windsor, Staines & South Western Railway. Station
opened 1876. Remains open. The area of London known as St
Margaret’s was formerly an estate owned by the Marquesses of
Ailsa, which was named after St Margaret, Queen of Scotland,
an ancestor of the family.
- St Mark’s
- Station (SK973708). Lincoln station opened 1846,
Midland Railway, as terminus of line from Nottingham.
Line extended to Wrawby Junction 1848, Manchester,
Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway. Lincoln (Midland)
station renamed Lincoln St Mark’s 1950. Line and station
closed 1985. Near the small church of St Mark on St Mark’s
Street, later used as a Church Hall and now an Animal
Welfare Centre of the RSPCA.
- St Marnock’s
- Goods station (NS422377). Opened 1847, Kilmarnock &
Troon railway. Closed, date uncertain. Line remains open.
About ½ mile from
St Marnock’s Parish Church, St Marnock
Street, Kilmarnock KA1 1DZ.
- St Mary’s (Derby)
- Goods station (SK356370) and Junction. Opened 1855, Midland
Railway, the Junction being the point where lines serving the
station joined the main line. Goods station closed 1969, junction
retained with crossovers between main and goods lines. Near the
ancient chapel of St Mary on the Bridge, St Marys Bridge, Sowter
Road, Derby DE1 3AT. The Roman Catholic Church of St Mary, built in
1838, is a little further away.
- St Mary’s (Lydney)
- Halt (SO634025). Line from Lydney Junction to Wimberley Colliery
opened 1869, Severn & Wye Railway & Canal Company. Closed 1975.
Part reopened as a tourist line 1991, Dean
Forest Railway, to Lydney Lakeside station. Extended to Lydney
Junction 1995, and Lydney Lakeside renamed St Mary’s Halt. Near St
Mary’s Church, Church Road, Lydney GL15 5ED.
- St Mary’s (Ramsey, Huntingdon)
- Station (TL254871). Opened 1863, Ramsey Railway. Station closed
1947. Line closed 1973. Near St Mary’s Church, Ugg Mere Court Road,
Ramsey St Marys, Ramsey, Huntingdon PE26 2RQ.
- St Mary’s (Stroud)
- Level crossing and halt (SO886022). Line from Kemble to Standish
Junction, with St Mary’s Crossing, opened 1845, Great Western Railway,
as a broad gauge line. Converted to standard gauge 1872. Halt opened
1903, closed 1964. Line and level crossing remain open. Crossing
leads only to St Mary’s Mill, from which it takes its name. The name
of the Mill is said to be taken from the Chantry and Chapel of St Mary
the Virgin in Holy Trinity Church, Minchinhampton (SO872008), over a
mile away; although sources do not make clear the reason for the
- St Mary’s (Whitechapel)
- Underground station and junction (TQ342816). Line from
Aldgate to Whitechapel opened 1884, jointly by the Metropolitan
and Metropolitan District Railways, together with St Mary’s
station. At same date, East London Railway opened a short
connection from St Mary’s Junction to connect with its line
from Shoreditch to New Cross and New Cross Gate. Station
renamed St Mary’s Whitechapel Road, 1923. Station closed,
1938. Connection to East London Line closed and junction abolished
2007. Aldgate to Whitechapel line remains open, served by
trains of the Hammersmith & City and District Lines.
Station and junction near St Mary’s Church, built in 1880 on
the site of an earlier chapel and itself now disappeared.
A small park (Altab Ali Park) on the south side of Whitechapel
Road marks its location.
- St Michael’s (Liverpool)
- Station (SJ366870) and tunnel. Opened 1864, Garston &
Liverpool Joint Committee, with the short tunnel (103 yards,
94 m) to the south east of the station passing under Southwood
Road and St Michael’s Road. Station closed 1972, reopened 1978.
Line, station and tunnel remain open. Near St Michael’s Church,
St Michael’s Church Road, Liverpool L17 7BD.
- St Michael’s (Tenterden)
- Station (approx TQ883851) and tunnel (approx TQ883356). Line
and tunnel opened 1905, Kent & East Sussex Light Railway.
Station opened 1912. Line, station and tunnel closed 1954.
Near the Church of St Michael and All Angels, Ashford Road,
St Michaels, Tenterden TN30 6PU.
- St Mildreds
- Carriage sidings (TQ883851). Also known as Grove Park (Up)
Carriage Sidings. Line from St Johns to Chislehurst (Bickley Park)
opened 1865, South Eastern Railway. Grove Park station opened 1871.
Carriage sidings opened, unknown date. Remain open.
The Church of St Mildred, St Mildreds Road, London SE12 0RA
is located about ¼ mile (400 m) to the east, at the corner
of Helder Grove.
Back to Top
- St Nicholas (Carlisle)
- Goods Station (approx NY408549). Opened 1863, London
& North Western Railway. Closed 1867. Site subsequently
occupied by later railway lines and facilities. At or near
the site of the Hospital of St Nicholas, built and destroyed
several times during the Middle Ages, becoming part of the
properties of Carlisle Cathedral in 1477, and finally
destroyed during the Civil War. Its precise location is
- St Nicholas (Newcastle Upon Tyne)
- Tram stop (approx NZ211650). Opened circa 1928, Newcastle &
Gosforth Tramways & Carriage Company. Electrified circa 1901 Newcastle
Corporation Tramways. Closed by 1950 §.
In St Nicholas Square, Mosley Street adjacent to St Nicholas Cathedral,
St Nicholas Churchyard, Newcastle Upon Tyne NE1 1PF.
- St Nicholas (Scarborough)
- Cliff Railway (TA043883). Opened 1929, Scarborough Corporation.
Closed 2006, though remains in situ (2009) and proposals exist for
reopening. The name is taken from St Nicholas Cliff, on which stood the
Hospital of St Nicholas. The precise location of the Hospital is uncertain,
as is the date of its foundation, although it was already recorded as being
“ancient” in the 13th century. The Hospital closed with the
dissolution of its parent Priory in the reign of Henry VIII.
Back to Top
- St Pancras
- Station (TQ301830). Opened 1867, Midland Railway.
Renamed St Pancras International 2007, with arrival of
Eurostar services. Remains open. In the parish of St Pancras
near to both St
Pancras Parish Church, Euston Road, London NW1 2BA and St Pancras Old Church, Pancras Road, London, NW1 1UL.
St Pancras Junction (TQ297841) on the North London line is so named
because it gave access to St Pancras Station.
- St Patrick’s
- Tunnel (approx W482538, Irish grid). Opened 1866, West
Cork Railway. Line closed 1961. Tunnel ran under the hill
on which stands St Patrick’s Church, Brandon, Co Cork, which
was only a few years old when the railway opened.
- St Paul’s (Birmingham)
- Station (SP066877). Opened 1999, Midland Metro. Remains open.
Near St Paul’s Church, St Paul’s Square, Birmingham
- St Paul’s (London)
- Stations, bridges and underground station and bridge:
All named after the nearby St Paul’s Cathedral. Blackfriars is named after
an area of London which was the location of a Dominican Priory until
the 16th Century. The Black Friar public house is modern, and takes
its name from the area rather than vice versa.
- in Blackfriars (TQ317808). Line from Elephant & Castle
to Blackfriars Bridge station, on the south bank of the River
Thames close to the existing Blackfriars road bridge, opened 1864,
London, Chatham & Dover Railway. Blackfriars Bridge railway
station closed to passengers 1885, to freight 1964, line remains
open. Line extended across river by Blackfriars Railway Bridge
to Ludgate Hill, with an intermediate station at St Paul’s on the
north bank of the river. St Paul’s Railway Bridge, alongside Blackfriars
Railway Bridge, and new St Paul’s station, adjacent to existing station,
opened 1886, South Eastern Railway. During the period of Southern
Railway ownership from 1924 the two stations were combined. St Paul’s
station and railway bridge renamed Blackfriars, 1937. Original
(London, Chatham & Dover) Blackfriars Railway Bridge closed 1985,
all traffic transferred to the later (South Eastern Railway) structure.
Piers of original bridge remain in situ, their elaborate decorations
restored in 2012. Platforms of Blackfriars station extended across the
later Blackfriars bridge 2011, with an additional entrance to the
station on the south bank, near the site of the former Blackfriars
- at Snow Hill (TQ317813). Line from Ludgate Hill to West Street
(junction with Metropolitan Railway) opened 1866, London,
Chatham & Dover Railway. Holborn Viaduct station opened 1874 as
the terminus of a short branch from this line. At about the same time
Snow Hill station opened on the West Street line. Snow Hill named
Holborn Viaduct Low Level (and Holborn Viaduct renamed Holborn Viaduct
High Level) 1912. Line from Holborn Viaduct Junction to West Street
(with Low Level station) closed to passenger 1918, closed completely 1969.
Ludgate Hill station closed 1929, line remained open. Line from Holborn
Viaduct Junction to West Street reopened to passengers, but without
intermediate station, 1988 as part of British Rail’s Thameslink scheme.
Holborn Viaduct High Level station closed 1990. Southern section of
West Street line closed and reopened later the same year on a new
alignment slightly to the east (partly occupying the site of the High
Level station) and at a lower level (with a tunnel under, rather than
a bridge over, Ludgate Hill). The new alignment included a station
at St Paul’s Thameslink. Station renamed City Thameslink 1991.
Remains open. In addition to the entrance on Holborn Viaduct, there
is an entrance on Ludgate Hill, near the site of the former Ludgate Hill
- Underground station (TQ321813). Line from Shepherd’s Bush to
Bank opened 1900, Central London Railway, with station at Post Office.
Station renamed St Paul’s, 1937. Remains open as part of the Central
Line of London Underground.
- St Peter’s (Monkwearmouth)
- Station (NZ396375). Line from a temporary terminus in north
Monkwearmouth to Monkwearmouth station opened 1848, York, Newcastle
& Berwick Railway. Line extended southwards over River Wear bridge
1879, North Eastern Railway. Station closed 1967. Line remains open.
New station named St Peter’s opened 2002, Tyne & Wear Metro,
immediately to the south of the original station. Remains open. Original
station building now used as a museum. The new station takes its name
from the adjacent St Peter’s Campus of the University of Sunderland,
which itself takes its name from St Peter’s Church, St Peter’s Way,
Sunderland SR6 0DY.
- St Peter’s (Tyneside)
- Station (NZ285631). Opened 1879, North Eastern Railway.
Closed 1973. Line closed 1987. St Peter’s Road leads from
the station to Byker Parish Church, Headlam Street,
NE6 2DX; however, the latter is actually dedicated to
St Michael with St Lawrence. The St Peter name was probably
given to mark the fact that the 19th Century Parish Church
replaced an older St Peter’s Church on Oxford Street in
the City Centre §.
- St Philip’s
- Station (ST601732). Not to be confused with St Philip’s
Marsh, about 1km to the south. Line opened 1858, Midland
Railway, as a branch off its line to Temple Meads. Station
opened 1870, closed 1953. Line closed 1967. Near the
of St Philip & St Jacob, Tower Hill, Bristol
- St Pinnock
- Viaduct (SX178646). Opened 1859, Cornwall Railway, a broad
gauge line. Converted to standard gauge 1892. Remains open.
The viaduct is actually located at Trago Mills, about 2 miles
from the Church of St Pinnock (SX200632), which gives its name
to a small hamlet.
Back to Top
- St Rollox
- Two stations and a works: first station (approx NS603664) opened
1831, Garnkirk & Glasgow Railway. Line extended to Port Dundas
goods station circa 1847, Caledonian Railway. New line opened from
Sighthill Junction to Buchanan Street 1849, and original station
closed. Locomotive works opened 1854, extended 1882 to present site
(NS609669). Second station (NS604667) opened on new line adjacent to
works. Station closed 1952. Port Dundas closed 1964. Buchanan Street
line closed 1966, with the works then being accessed from Barnhill
only. Original line closed 1968. In the 1990s St Rollox Works became
the Springburn Works of Railcare, now part of Alstom Traincare.
St Rollox Church was originally located on Tharsis Street (about
NS608662). In 1894 a new church was opened at the junction of
Springwell Road and Fountainhead Road, overlooking the second station,
and the original church became a mission. The 1894 church was
destroyed by fire in 1982 and replaced by a new building in 1984.
Back to Top
- St Thomas (Brampton)
- Tram stop (approx SK362706). Opened 1882, Chesterfield &
District Tramways Company as a horse tram route. Converted to
electric trams 1904, Chesterfield corporation Tramways. Closed 1927.
On Chatsworth Road, near St Thomas’ Church.
- St Thomas (Exeter)
- Station (SX915920) and viaduct. Exeter St Thomas station opened
1846, South Devon Railway, located on viaduct known as St Thomas’ Viaduct.
Broad gauge line, converted to mixed gauge 1871 and standard gauge 1892.
Remains open. Near St Thomas Church, Church Road, St Thomas, Exeter
- St Thomas (Swansea)
- Station (approx SS662933). Opened 1860, Swansea Vale
Railway. Closed 1950. About ¼ mile from St Thomas’
Church, Lewis Street, St Thomas, Swansea SA1 8BP
Back to Top
- St Valery
- Tram stop, never opened (approx O239179, Irish grid).
The Bray & Enniskillen Street Tramway started work on
a 3 foot 6 inch (1087 mm) gauge electric tramway in 1874 but
it was never completed. The proposed station would have been
near St Valery’s Cross, an example of an early Christian
decorated cross, standing in Fassaroe, Bray, Co Wicklow.
- St Vigean’s
- Junction (approx NO639419). Line from Arbroath to Forfar opened
1838, Arbroath & Forfar Railway. Junction created 1880 with
opening of line to Lunan Bay, North British Railway, line extended
to Aberdeen 1880. Line to Forfar closed 1959, short section retained
serving Letham Mill Sidings until 1965, when line closed altogether
and junction abolished. Line from Arbroath to Aberdeen remains open.
The divergence of the two lines was actually about ½ mile
north of the Junction and its controlling signal box, near St
Vigean’s Church (NO639429).
Back to Top
- St Winefride’s
- Station (approx SJ185762). Opened 1912, London & North
Western Railway. Line and station closed 1954. Near St
Winefride’s Well and Chapel. The town of Holywell takes its
name from the well. The parish church was also once dedicated
to St Winefride (or Winifred) but was rededicated to St James
in the 18th century.
- St Werburgh’s Road
- Tram stop (approx SJ819940). Line from Old Trafford to
Chorlton-cum-Hardy opened 1880, Midland Railway. Closed 1988.
Reopened with tram stop 2011, Manchester Metrolink. Remains open.
About ¼ mile (0.4 km) from St Werburgh’s Church.
Back to Top
- Strata Florida
- Station (SN711671). Opened 1866, Manchester &
Milford Railway. Line closed 1965. Station takes its
name from St Mary’s Abbey at Strata Florida (Welsh:
Ystrad Fflur) some 2 miles away (SN746657)
rather than from the neighbouring villages of
Ystradmeurig and Pontrhydfendigaid.
Back to Top
- Underground station (TQ310808). Opened 1870, Metropolitan
District Railway. Remains open as part of London Underground
District and Circle Lines. The area known as the Temple takes
is name from The Temple Church, Temple, London EC4Y 7BB.
The Church itself was so named by its medieval founders, the
- Temple Hirst
- Station (SE603250) and Junction (SE602247). Line from
Shaftholme Junction to Selby opened 1871, North Eastern Railway, with
Temple Hirst station. Station closed 1961. Line remains open.
Junction created 1983, British Rail, with opening of line to Colton
Junction. Remains open.
The ruins of the Knights Templar Preceptory of Temple Hirst
lie a short distance to the west.
- Temple Meads
- Several successive stations on adjacent sites, each known as Bristol
Temple Meads (ST597725). First station opened 1840, Great Western Railway.
Second station opened 1844, Bristol & Exeter Railway. A new station
opened 1878, Great Western Railway, replacing the Bristol & Exeter
station and permitting through running of passenger trains. The first
and last stations remained in use until 1965 when the 1840 station closed.
From 2002 to 2008, the original station building was in use as the
British Empire & Commonwealth Museum, and with the original trainshed
has been proposed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The trainshed is
currently in use as a car park, but there are proposals to reinstate
tracks to provide extra capacity for the 1878 station, which remains open.
The area of Temple Meads, where the stations are located, were originally
the grazing lands (meads) associated with the nearby Knights Templar
Preceptory. The Temple Church (also known as Holy Cross) was badly
damaged by bombing in the Second World War. Its remains, now in the care
of English Heritage, are located a little distance away in Temple Street,
off Victoria Street (ST593727).
- Temple Mills
- Goods station (TQ373861), sidings (TQ373863) and junctions
(East TQ383855, West TQ366867). Line from Stratford to Broxbourne
opened 1840, Northern & Eastern Railway. Loughton Junction created
1856, Eastern Counties Railway, with opening of line to Loughton.
Temple Mills Goods Station opened 1871, with access from the west.
Line from Loughton Junction to Channelsea Junction opened 1881, Great
Eastern Railway. Line from Leyton to Loughton transferred to London
Transport 1947, remains open as part of London Underground Central Line.
Line from Loughton Junction to Leyton closed 1971, Loughton Junction
(which also gives access to Temple Mills sidings on the north side of
the main line) renamed Temple Mills East Junction. Temple Mills goods
station closed, uncertain date, site now occupied by New Spitalfields
Market (opened 1991). Lines from Stratford to Broxbourne and Temple
Mills East Junction to Channelsea Junction remain open. A small section
of the north side freight sidings remain in use as a permanent way
depot. The remainder of the site is occupied by the new Eurostar
servicing depot, due to open in 2007. The depot will be linked directly
to the Channel Tunnel Rail Link at Stratford International Station,
with no connection to other lines in the area. The original Temple
Mills were corn mills owned by the Knights Templar, located on the
nearby River Lea.
- (Gaelic: An Teampall Mór) Station (S120707). Opened 1848,
Great Southern & Western Railway. Remains open. At first site this
is a case of a station named after the town rather than directly
after a church, but in fact when the station was opened there was no
significant town here; the principal traffic of the station being
provided by a nearby large military barracks. The “Great Church” to
which the name refers is the ruined Abbey Church of the Blessed Virgin
Mary, located in the town park.
- Temple Newsam
- Tram terminus (SE357323). Opened, date uncertain §,
Leeds City Tramways. Closed 1959, with the tram line. Near Temple
Newsam House, a 16th century manor house named after a Knights
Templar Preceptory which formerly stood on the site.
- Temple Sowerby
- Station (NY613260). Opened 1862, Eden Valley Railway. Closed 1953.
Line closed 1962. A little over ½ mile (1 km) south of the village
of Temple Sowerby, itself some distance south of the site of the former
Knights Templar Preceptory, now known as Acorn Bank (NY614283).
- (Gaelic: Teampall Tuaithe) Railway system serving peat extraction
workings (approx S230670). 3ft (914mm gauge) system opened 1955, Bord
na Móna. Believed to remain open, but not confirmed. The “Church
of the Tuath (clan territory)” from which the bog takes its name is
located about 3 miles (5 km) to the northwest.
- Station (NT250768). Opened 1842, Edinburgh, Leith & Newhaven
Railway. Closed 1925. Line closed 1966. Trinity Church, described as
“one of the most exqusite Gothic churches in Scotland” was demolished
to make way for the railway.
Back to Top
- Wishing Well
- Halt (SY672851). Line from Yeovil to Weymouth via Dorchester
opened 1857, Great Western Railway. Halt opened 1905, closed 1957.
Line remains open. About ¾ mile (1.2 km) from Upwey Wishing Well,
144 Church Street, Weymouth DT3 5QE. The Wishing Well is not a known
religious site, but it has long been associated with reputed healing
qualities and other legends which would seem to justify giving it a
similar status to Holy Wells elsewhere.